LUNAR CRATER CASSINI



I enjoyed sketching this crater. It was a lovely summer evening, clear sky and a tempting moon. After a brief scan I decided to sketch the elusive Cassini crater. This flooded crater has a narrow wall and the tone of the floor is very similar to that of the surrounding surface. The outline of this crater is somewhat polygonal and its interior has a large bright ring plain. To the west of this there is a bright deep crater on the south edge.

The outer slope of Cassini contains a lot of detail that is hard to sketch. In my sketch I tried to bring out the gentle rising slope from the outer area up till the narrow crater walls. Maybe next time I will focus my sketch only on the slope details.

To the right is a picture of cassini for reference, taken under similar sun illumination from the LOPAM database. After examining this reference picture with my sketch I noticed the similarity in the tone and subtle shadows visible on the floor of Cassini.

This sketch was published in the December 2009 issue of the The Lunar Observer - a publication of the Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers (http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/).